Tuesday, July 2, 2013

21st Century Pecha Kucha

What is a Pecha Kucha?

Honestly, I had NO idea until a few weeks ago when creating one became a "homework" assignment for Administrators in our district.
Google it...I had to...and I learned at least the very basics - fast...thank you internet.

Being fairly tech savvy my brain came up with all kinds of ways I could wow the crowd with my slideshow...but then...I started to look at the images I would use in my presentation and that used up almost all of my time. I needed just the right ones to speak to the concepts I was trying to bring forth in relation to 21st Century/Personalized Learning at our school. 

So...here I sit on the eve with images that speak to me, labeled with words, in a plain old Powerpoint. A bit disappointing on some levels considering my grand plans but...it is what it is. Now my aim is to make these images speak to my audience as they do to me.

I spent my time choosing images and deciding on just the right words to represent them...Here they are in order...
1. Clever
2. Community
3. Co-Facilitators
4. Cultural Awareness
5. Confidence - Independence
6. Context - Real Life Learning
7. Comfort - Learning Spaces
8. Coordination 
9. Creativity
10. Curiosity
11. Courage
12. Commitment
13. Chances
14. Crash and Burn
15. Respect for People
16. Constructive
17. Compassion
18. Connections
19. Camaraderie
20. Celebrate
Each slide can be spoken to for 20 seconds each. Then I had to have the dilemma over whether to record my "speech" ahead of time...or if I should speak to each of the slides in the moment. I chose the latter but was worried, mainly because speaking with a time limit is NOT my forte. Like composing a tweet on Twitter, I found having to make my point in very few spoken words made me think a WHOLE lot more. 

So - my experience with the Pecha Kucha was overall a positive one that provided growth and understanding about situations and expectations that make me nervous. I hope we will get the chance to make a few more so I can correct some of the errors I made this time around. 

Probably one of the best parts was coming up with a playlist that I would play to accompany my images if I couldn't speak to it ...see below...

Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield
Dare you to Move - Switchfoot
Right Here Right Now - Fat Boy Slim
Brand New Day - Ryan Star
Count on Me
Crazy - Seal
Fireflies - Owl City
Free Falling - Tom Petty
The Golden Age - The Asteroids
Hall of Fame - The Script
Won't Back Down - Tom Petty
Levels - Avicii
Over My Head - The Fray
Your Life is Now - John Cougar Mellencamp

 


No comments:

Post a Comment